Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Toronto Dreams Project Sticky Plaque Division

Here's my new thing: sticky plaques. That's what I'm calling these stickers I'm printing, each with a QR code on it. (QR codes are those fancy looking codes that you scan with your smartphone to automatically open a webpage.) Those QR codes all link to webpages which tell the story of something historical that happened on the spot where the sticker gets stuck. Sometimes those webpages will be my own posts right here on the Toronto Dreams Project Historical Ephemera Blog. And sometimes they'll link to other posts I like.

The idea is to highlight historical stories and locations that might not already have their own official non-sticky plaques. And to provide more information and multimediaishness to some of the places that already do.

You can see photos of some of the places I've stuck sticky plaques here.

10 comments:

  1. fantastic idea!!

    your stories are excellent and you're not getting enough credit for your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! What website did you use to create these? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are lots of free & easy sites to create QR codes. This is one I've used so far: http://www.qrstuff.com/

      Delete
  3. fantastic idea! If you're going to link to your blog, be sure to have a responsive design, so mobile users aren't immediately turned off of the content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam, very cool! Where do you get the sticky plaques printed, and what do they cost? Thanks!
    Wendy Smith
    http://wendysmithtoronto.com/parklotproject

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Wendy! I just stumbled across your site a few weeks ago — it's great. I just buy waterproof mailing labels and then print them myself on my home printer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waterproof mailing labels! amazing. Laser or ink-jet printer? And how long do they survive out in the weather? More than one winter? Thanks!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laser. I actually specifically bought ones that were supposed to work with ink-jet, which wasn't easy, but even they didn't really work. I just gave up and bought a laser printer.

      I've only been doing them since the summer, so I'm not sure yet about how many winters they can survive. There are some that have been out there since June or July, though, and they seem to be holding up pretty well so far.

      Delete